I’m not a blogger, per se. I mostly just write for my own benefit, and I certainly don’t do it with any sort of consistency.
What I do do consistently, however, is read blogs. There’s a trend going around that has bloggers writing letters to their past selves, several of which I can identify with. From time to time, many of us think we’re going it alone, or that no one could understand how our own very specific set of circumstances might make us feel in any given moment – but we’re not! And that’s beautiful.
Here are some excerpts from one of my favorites that did a better job talking to past (and sometimes present) me than I could have:
- No matter where you are in life, don’t ever lose that hope that you’ve held on to every day of your life that tells you that you were put on this earth to do something radical; something profound. It’s rare in your generation that parents equipped their children with this much faith, so you aren’t allowed to throw it away.
- You have to learn to be more vulnerable…You have to be willing to bare it all for the sake of someone else – you have to get over your insecurities of feeling like you just aren’t enough.
- You need to dig deeper into your passions and talents. You get apathetic and decide that you have nothing to bring to the table, but what good does that mindset do anyone? That never changed the world. When you’re tired, do it anyway. When you’re being lazy, get over it. When you have nothing to give, try giving something else. You don’t get to just give up, you just don’t.
- You need to be less selfish… so you don’t get to go even one day without remembering how blessed you are.
- You are in the prime of your life right now. You could easily let your selfishness, apathy and insecurities crumble you… you have a lot to accomplish, you don’t have any time to waste.
- And never forget, you were born to be a blessing; today, tomorrow and with the rest of your life.